Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry

The Venetian Betrayal was the first of Steve Berry's novels that I've read. It's the third in a series of seven books that feature Cotton Malone, a U.S. Justice Department operative, and his exploits.

This time around, Cotton gets caught up in an international conspiracy involving Venetian power brokers, a central Asian dictator, Alexander the Great, and the cure for... Well, I'll let you read about that for yourself.

If you sense a lack of enthusiasm from me, you're right. The novel was sufficiently entertaining but I never got a vibe for Malone or another of the other characters. A few technical flaws in the description of military aircraft got under my skin. And at times the international conspiracy got a little overblown like Ludlum on a bad day or Cussler on a good one.

But I did learn things about Alexander the Great which nicely filled in my woefully incomplete view of world history.

No comments: