Sunday, October 14, 2012

Power Down by Ben Coes

Power Down was my first foray into Ben Coes' work. I've had it sitting on my "to read" shelf for a long time and accordingly don't recall what motivated me to buy it other than the fact that it's in the thriller genre, my core escapist reading.

It was pretty good, a very engaging read and definitely in the "want to finish in one setting" class. You have your obligatory Middle East terrorists who want to bring America to its economic knees beginning with the destruction of a mammoth offshore oil rig and a hydroelectric dam.

The story's "un-hero" is a former Delta operator who survives the oil rig disaster where he was working as part of the crew. And it just so happens that the CEO of the energy conglomerate is a former Navy SEAL who is now really pissed off. These two protagonists work the terrorism issue independently of the U.S. government's counter-terrorism forces with decidedly better results.

I see from the author's website at www.bencoes.com that he has written two other books both of which feature the un-hero, Dewey Andreas. They'll probably end up on my to-read shelf.

No comments: