Saturday, October 8, 2011

Some people are like slinkys...

Aviation pr0n of the web: video of the F-35B landing on the USS Wasp at sea.

If you want a keyboard that looks like an iPad the Cool Leaf Keyboard is for you.  But I just don't see it happening unless you're a 2-finger typist.  See affordance.

Mt. Everest webcam.  Because it's there.
Peter Gabriel's New Blood album is out.  In it he "re-imagines" his most famous songs by re-recording them with an orchestra.  All too often when aging rockers try this the result is sappy crap. Don't get me wrong - I like Peter Gabriel.

Even David Lynch (yes, Eraserhead, Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet David Lynch) has an album, Crazy Clown Time.

I also like lasagne.  I really like my wife's lasagne.  So can this recipe really be the perfect lasagne? I don't see any pepperoni in the ingredients.

When you combine movie titles with video game-inspired 8-bit graphics you get Title Scream.

The Supreme Court passed on hearing an appeal in Vernor v. Autodesk thereby implicitly upholding the ruling that software sales are licenses (i.e. rentals) and not purchases (i.e. owned).  Why is this a big deal?  It negates the principle of "first sale" and means you can't resell software you buy.

I saw Michael Moore in film footage from the Occupy Wall Street hipster fest.  Then I saw this.
When brown is green: a motorcycle that runs on poo. (A brief intro in English - the poo link is mostly Japanese.)

Speaking of laying cable, here's a Google maps app showing undersea cables.

From the Lost But Not Found department, here's a list of the top 10 books lost to history.  Homer a comedian?

Great Expectations was voted as the favorite of Dickens' novels.  I'm partial to A Tale of Two Cities.


I am imagining the hate mail already.
This list of 667 sins from the bible reads like a "to do" list: #2 Not abstaining from all appearance of evil. #224 Being a Glutton. #305 Greediness.  And because I always criticize lists for being too long, don't you think their point would have been better made if the list had ended at 666?

Standby for learning in 3... 2... 1... Mathematical Methods for Physics Students, Basic Probability Theory, Dijkstra's Introduction to Programming from 1971 (a classic), and Electrostatics.

Math continues to amaze: a formula for pi involving only the number 2.

It seems every number has its fans including 47, "the quintessential random number."

Just plain odd: Guy on a Buffalo.

...not good for much but bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.

4 comments:

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Digging in the Dirt (currently playing on the web site) is good.

Jim said...

Okay, having listened to a few more of the songs, I'm now lukewarm on the new album. Solsbury Hill sounds like he was in a different room from the orchestra. It's disappointing.

John said...

Hi Jim:

The one per hour preview idea is actually a pretty good bit of marketing. I only listened to Red Rain and while I can't say I hated it, my reaction was more like, it's different but not better.