Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Dangerous, Unsavory Addiction

I saw this drawing/comic/cartoon I Have A Problem and gave a self-conscious LOL.  A consequence of a preference for paper and ink books that they tend to pile up - both the ones you read and the ones you have yet to read.  Is it bad to like having a shelf full of titles?  It sure looks better than... well... just holding your Kindle in your hand.

My "to read" shelf has the following (in no particular order):

  1. The Heartless Stone: A Journey Through the World of Diamonds, Deceit, and Desire by Tom Zoellner
  2. The Kennedy Detail: JFK's Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence by Gerald Blaine and Lisa McCubbin
  3. Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality by Manjit Kumar
  4. Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability and Science of Customer Centricity by Avinash Kaushik
  5. Cold Choices by Larry Bond
  6. Failure Is Not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Gene Kranz
  7. A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (I'm really looking forward to this one.)
  8. The Design of Design: Essays from a Computer Scientist by Frederick P. Brooks
  9. The Apostle: A Thriller by Brad Thor
  10. Vernon Fisher (M. Georgia Hegarty Dunkerley Contemporary Art Series)
On top of that I just got a new audiobook from the library, The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer.  So many words.

4 comments:

Francis Shivone said...

Love the cartoon.

I do not considered it an obligation to read the books I buy which has made the problem worse. Some books just need to be there.

Read Canticle years ago. Great book.

I'm 58. Reading has gotten more difficult. I mean staying awake has gotten more difficult. The Kindle has helped.

John said...

Books for books sake. Dangerous.

Don't get me started on staying awake.

Danielle Pfaff said...

I feel like this cartoon describes my life (and so young to be falling into such an addiction!). The only trips I make to Half Price Books are ones where I sell someone else's books in order to add to my shelf. It's a slippery slope...

John said...

Danielle:

You start out selling books to buy new ones at Half Price Books. Seem's innocent. You're recycling and getting a bargain. Then you start skipping the trade-in cuz the price is still good. But sometimes the closest store is a Border's so why go out of your way. Sure it's full retail price. Unless you join their rewards club. And the one at Barnes & Noble. Finally you find yourself ordering books by the dozen in the middle of the night from Amazon.

Slippery slope indeed.