Saturday, June 4, 2011

The richness of life...

Brian Eno has released two tracks from his album Drums Between the Bells: Imagine New Times and Glitch.  Listen while you read.

A robot exploring the Great Pyramid of Giza found red-painted hieroglyphs that researchers hope will reveal the purpose of two dead-end shafts and possibly locate hidden vaults.  (For a while in high school, I thought I wanted to be an archeologist.)

Has searching the internet become too easy, too good?  Never fear, WackoSearch is here. 

This is the 2MASS Redshift Survey, a map of the local universe out to a range of 380 million light years.
I suppose this was inevitable.  A while back there was the story of the guy who made cologne from his poo poo.  Now here's an artist who's made perfume from her pee pee.  (The artist's name is Cherry Tree.  Of course it is.)

PHRAS.IN helps you overcome writer's block by showing you the relative popularity of two phrases.  For example, "shit" is much more widely used than "crap", 127 versus 97 million hits respectively.  And speaking of swearing, it apparently has an analgesic effect and other good properties.

Fans of Cézanne will enjoy this brief animation of a visit to his studio.

Is the office cubicle going away?  What would Dilbert do then?

Here's one man's list of last summer's business books that will "blow your mind."   Hippie hyperbole aside, here are a few comments off the top of my head.  I've only read one book on the list but I've either read other books by the authors listed or are familiar with their work on the internet. This is twice in two days that I've seen praise for Daniel Pink's Drive.   I liked the Heath brothers' Made to Stick so perhaps I should check out Switch.  On the other hand, I thought Freakonomics was worthless.  I enjoyed other work by Godin and Reynolds.  The big problem with business books is making them actionable so you don't finish reading and think "now what?"

Want to learn math and computer science on your own?  Check out Project Euler.  For example, what is the smallest number divisible by each of the numbers 1-20?

This week's aviation pr0n is an awesome display of airmanship as a helicopter lands on the deck of a pitching and rolling ship in high seas. 

There are lots of good 404 pages (the web page you get when you go to a URL that no longer exists) out there, but this cartoon of a blue wormy thing regurgitating the digits of pi while harmonizing females sing along is not one of them.

Obligatory beer links: Homer Simpson's Duff beer is available south of the border.  How to read beer expiration dates.  (As though any of you would leave it untouched for that long.)  How to make yummy beer brittle.  Sign up now to be one of the first to have a beer in space.

Last week Joel was mesmerized by the bouncing balls so here's a new one for him: BallDroppings.

When is a line not a line?  When it's a surface.  That's exactly what a space-filling curve is, a curve that passes through every point of the unit square.

I don't know what Augenkrebsbild means, but I'm certain it's not "soothing."

...lies in memories we have forgotten.  ~Cesare Pavese

5 comments:

Joel said...

Some serious ball bouncing fun. Trying to recreate the movement of ballicles through the Hadron Supercollider. I'll find that God Particle on a cut-rate Dell laptop.

John said...

Now that I know what amuses you, I'll be sure to find all the ball games on teh interwebs. As for the Higgs boson, I don't think it's on the interwebs but I'll keep looking.

Francis Shivone said...

There aren't enough bouncing ball animations out there for me.

John said...

Ah, two aficionados of the bouncing ball. Is it time perhaps for my first best-of or compilation post?

Francis Shivone said...

Maybe it's related to childhood pinball machine addiction.