Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cathedral by Nelson DeMille

This is about the 3rd or 4th book of Nelson DeMille's that I've read. A repeat customer must be a happy customer, right? Yep, it's true. Cathedral is a good story.

Published in 1990, Cathedral is an interesting tale of pre-9/11 terrorism in NYC when a notorious IRA man and his crew take hostages and hole-up in St. Patrick's Cathedral on St. Patrick's day. They get everyone's attention when they announce plans to execute the hostages and blow-up the cathedral at dawn unless their demands are met.

There are so many subplots, backstabbing, dirty dealing, mixed allegiances, and other skulduggery that it had me guessing right up until the end. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has their own personal agenda. It's no surprise that issues of religion, or more accurately faith, are woven throughout. Taken together, all the characters are shades of gray. Well, all except one. But this grayness is a bit of a problem because I couldn't develop an emotional connection with anybody. For example, I've just started listening to another Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child and I really like Reacher.

A friend says DeMille's The Charm School is even better so that will probably go on my list next.


No comments: