Saturday, May 16, 2015

New Music Roundup

I've been going through new music lately like Chris Farley going through cheeseburgers and speed. So before the new round arrives let me move the recent stuff out of the way.
  • Live At The Orpheum by King Crimson: One word: MORE. This 2014 single CD, live recording of Robert Fripp's latest incarnation of King Crimson consists of 7 tracks one of which is the band's "walk on" music. I'd love to hear more, to hear an entire concert's worth.
  • The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior by Trey Gunn, Bill Rieflin, and Robert Fripp: Think of it as another fine example of a King Crimson ProjeKct. Sample on YouTube.
  • Heaven & Earth by ProjeKct X (aka Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn, Pat Mastelotto): Rare. Worth it. Another KC ProjeKct that is kinda like the orphan of the ConstruKction of Light recording sessions. Sample on YouTube.
  • Octane Twisted by Porcupine Tree: It took this great live recording to get me over my hump with PTree despite the fact that I'm a fan of Steven Wilson's solo work.
  • Hand. Cannot. Erase. by Steven Wilson. Nice follow-on to 2013's The Raven That Refused to Sing. Some very nice keyboard work on here by Adam Holzman.
  • So (25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) by Peter Gabriel: I've been a fan of Gabriel since his Genesis days, have several of his solo CDs, and have seen him live 3 or 4 times. Why it took me this long to get this album can't be explained. Great versions of Family Snapshot, Intruder, and Family and the Fishing Net. 
  • Avonmore by Bryan Ferry: Nice, but no Avalon.
  • Totem by Tuner (aka Markus Reuter and Pat Mastelotto): Good clean fun. Samples at iapetus.
"I don't understand music but I sure like the way it sounds."

I received no compensation of any kind for this review.

No comments: